Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Candy canes and major pains

So my 3 year old daughter is trying to go to bed tonight. Correction: I'm trying to get her to go to bed. I'm lying there with her for a few minutes. I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt because it has finally warmed up into the 60's. She says, "Mommy, why are you wearing that shirt?" I reply that it's just the shirt I put on. She asks why I'm not wearing my "candy cane" pajamas. (I have a red and white striped sleep shirt I got at an after Christmas sale. Shhh!!) I told her I hadn't gotten my pajamas on yet. She replies, "But mommy, you have to wear your candy cane pajamas so we can eat you!"

The "major pain" part comes after I leave her to fall asleep. My husband walks into the laundry room holding her. I had just laid down with her for nearly 10 minutes! It doesn't matter how long I lie down with her. She will come out of her room and not go to sleep. She's been doing this for months! She woke up 3 times last night. I know you're supposed to just keep putting them back in bed, but this is getting old! Plus, as a baby I could let her cry it out. But now she can talk. So she says to her sister in the morning, "mommy didn't come get me when I was scared!" What if she says this stuff at preschool????

I know. This too shall pass. One of these days I'll look back and WISH I could lie down with her. But for right now, zzzzzzzzzzz.

1 comment:

barbara Kane said...

Have you tried the 6 Bedtime B's?
Bite to eat
Bath
Brush teeth
Book
Backrub
Blessing
Be patient. Her insecurities will fade with your consistent reassurance and love.
Barbara