Wednesday, August 19, 2009

First Day of Kindergarten!

Well, we made it! Beta's first day of kindergarten. And Alpha's first day of third grade. Wow, my girls are growing up quickly! Too quickly!

We were all up pretty early this morning. The girls got dressed in minimal time and with no fussing. If only that would last.......

We show up at school about 7:30. There are hardly any parking places. They were having all the kids (well, 1st - 5th) go to the cafeteria. They are planning to have announcements at 7:35-7:45 every morning. WHATEVER!!!!! I guess my girls will just have to miss them b/c there's no way we can make it there by 7:30 every day. School doesn't start until 7:50 so I plan to have them there by 7:45. Just like the last 3 years.

But I digress......

The kindergarteners got to go to their classes instead of the cafeteria. We found Beta's room and she put her stuff in a cubby. There was no assigned seating yet, but there were plenty of colors, blocks, and other little things to play with. There were 2 girls already sitting down so I directed Beta over to them. (recalling how she is in Sunday school...she doesn't like the boys!)

As I try to get her to go over there, she grabs my leg. *Gulp* Lump in throat....

I say, "let's go see what these blocks are and sit by these two girls".

When she sits down, she says, "Can't you stay with me just a few minutes?" Cue tears.

I hug her and kiss her and tell her no, I have to go to work. She sees me crying and almost starts crying herself. (darn! darn! I tried so hard to hold it in!)

I turn to leave, and spy some kleenex. I grab two and take one to her. At this point I managed to get ahold of myself a little so I tell her she'll have a good day and it'll be ok. I then split. I cry some on the way out to the car, but once in the car, I'm ok.

This afternoon, I got to pick up 2 girls at once! No extra trip to preschool! Aaahhhhh....freedom!

Beta said her day was part good and part bad. She slipped and fell when they were lining up to go home and scraped her elbow. Poor thing! I tried to tell her that if that happened at the end of the day, then the day was mostly good. She didn't believe me.

Now we get to go to bed early tonight and get up and do it all over again tomorrow.

1 down, 179 to go. (Based on a 180-day school year....)

Here is Beta with her backpack, lunchbox, and roll of paper towels. (school supplies)

Both girls dressed and ready!

On our way in to school.

1 comment:

amyj said...

They are so cute, Wendy!