Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Laundry List

One day, I added up the number of loads of laundry I must do to consider all laundry in the house "done."

1 load jeans
1 load whites
1 load lights
1-2 loads darks
1 load reds/purples/dark pinks (yes, with 2 girls and red as one of my favorite colors, we have enough red things to do an entire load of laundry. WEEKLY.)
1 load dark towels
1 load light towels
1 load bibs
1 load napkins and placemats (We have been using cloth napkins for several months in order to save money and not fill up as many landfills with paper napkins.)

When summer gets here, the darks will go down to 1 load but the lights will increase to 2 loads. The bib load is about to go away because J4 will be using the vinyl toddler bibs instead of the cloth infant ones. I also can make it about 1 1/2 weeks before we run out of towels. So I do two towel loads about every other week. I also end up washing the placemats and napkins about every other week. We have 12 cloth napkins and 4 people using them. They don't always get too dirty at one meal so we just fold them over and use a clean side the next time. Unless they get really messy at a meal. Then they head to the laundry room.

So all total that is 10 loads of laundry. Per WEEK. But I don't wash just once per week. For clothes, to keep everything that is wearable clean, and since we have a baby, I need to do laundry about 2-3 times per week. My main laundry days are Mondays and Thursdays. That's how long it takes for the darks/lights (depending on season), whites, and jeans to fill up. I only have to do reds once per week.

So there you have it. My laundry list.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

What about sheets?

In our house, we add a "dog load" or two... towels, bedding, etc.

I'm glad you posted this; sometimes I think the number of loads I do is excessive, but maybe not.

Wendy Thibault Kane said...

Ssshhh.....I don't wash sheets every week. See how much laundry I have to do NOT including sheets? When would I have time for that? lol!!

Just so people don't think I'm gross....the girls sleep ON TOP of their comforters a lot. I know. They are quirky. In the winter, they would just cover up with their blankets. (except on extremely cold nights when I would BEG them to get under their covers.) I change our sheets every 1-2 weeks. We have 3 sets so I don't have to wash them right away. They'll end up lying around for days before I realize "oh, that's not the dog's bed" and actually wash them. :)