Monday, February 9, 2009

aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Today, I took the girls to the dentist. We've had a breakthrough! Beta did NOT throw a fit! She told me on the way there that she wasn't going to be scared any more because she was a big girl.

When we got back in the exam room, she still walked hesitantly over to the chair. The hygienist was nice and started talking to her. I wanted to ask the other hygienist, who was working on Alpha, a question, so I said I'd be right back.

After asking my question, though, I thought, "hmmm.....most kids do better when their parents are not around." So.....I hid. Around the corner. I watched (and listened) as Beta was carefully coaxed up into the chair. (or down on it....it's actually a flat bed-type thing. It's no wonder she hates it.) She laid down and even OPENED HER MOUTH!!! She kept wanting to sit up so they let her for the last half of the cleaning. But the big news is, SHE DID IT! She even let the dentist poke around with his mirror and pointy-thing. She told me it didn't hurt if you were still. Wow......it's amazing how much I've learned, isn't it?

Final result: NO cavities! In either girl! Alpha needs sealants on her 6-year molars, but Beta is good-to-go.

Beta also informed me that she doesn't suck her thumb any more because she didn't want the dentist to tell her she was doing something "unhealthy". The thing is, I've noticed her not sucking it as she goes to sleep! I sure hope we are over that, and of her own accord.

Now I have to get ready for bed to tackle the rest of my week. One down....nine to go. (weeks of tax season)

No comments: