Thursday, January 28, 2010

I love my nitpickin' husband!

Saturday, January 16, we encountered a heretofore unseen menace.

Head Lice.

ICK!!!!!! EWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

I have heard of head lice. I remember lice checks during school. They NEVER found them on me or my brother. I have somehow managed to make it 35 years without so much as an egg or nit showing up in my hair.

But on that fateful Saturday night, I discovered what millions of moms all across the world fear. Both girls had head lice.

We skipped church the next morning (the other moms will thank us) and shampooed the girls' hair. Then we began the process of using the "nit comb" to comb through every square inch of their hair! It took us about 2 hours PER GIRL! Thankfully we did them concurrently. We also washed EVERYTHING that their hair could have touched. The washing machine ran constantly from about 10:00 until 6:00.

The saddest part for the girls was having to bag their stuffed animals. They both cried and cried. We told them that yes, it was sad, but they wanted the bugs to go away, didn't they? That helped them a little bit.

For our next move, we weren't sure what to try. We got several suggestions.

We ended up going with the Robi Comb. Jim saw it at Walgreens. It sounds farfetched, but I'm happy to report that it worked! You use it on dry hair so there's no pesticidal shampoos or greasy things to try and wash out. It takes about 15 minutes per kid. It zaps adult lice with a small static-electricity charge that either kills or stuns them. It also detects eggs and nits (empty egg sacks....I know....this is all just SO GROSS!!!)

Jim is now an expert nitpicker! It all started with the shampoos. Since they are really just pesticides for your hair, we decided that I should stay away from them. (and...quite selfishly, I was ok with that......) So he had to wash both girls heads.

Then, with the Robi Comb, we used it at least once a day, sometimes twice. Since it takes me longer in the mornings to get ready than it does him, he always ended up being the one to comb their hair out. He has become an excellent spotter of all stages of lice! He can tell at first glance if it is an egg or a nit and can chase down live ones with amazing accuracy!

After much painstaking work, as of tonight, we are declaring the girls LICE FREE!!! They got their stuffed animals back and are very happy to be sleeping with them again. We are happy the lice appear to be gone. We owe it all to Jim! What an awesome daddy!

I've said many times before, that if other women knew what kind of husband I have, I'd have to fight to keep them off of him! LOL! I am so thankful and feel so blessed to have been lead to such a wonderful man!

Love you honey!!!!

The main website we used was HeadLice.org.

Did you know there is an entire non-profit set up to educate parents about headlice? Weird.

No comments: