Thursday, April 21, 2011

10 Years of Consignment

This month marks the 10th anniversary of my first trip to a Consignment Sale!

It was April 2001. I was 8 months pregnant with Alpha. I had heard about the Duck Duck Goose sale a few times, but never understood what it was. Once someone explained it to me, I knew I had to go.

So after class, I headed over to the old Expo Center and went inside. Since I was new to this kind of thing, I didn't know anything about consigning, or pre-sales, or how to get the good stuff. So there wasn't much left when I went. I bought a baby bathtub, a wind-up swing, and a package of diapers. I didn't need clothing because I had had a baby shower at church and had plenty. Now imagine an 8-months pregnant woman dragging a box of swing parts, a baby bathtub, and the diapers around. Yea. It was hard.

We used the bathtub for both girls, finally selling it in 2006, I believe. The swing came in VERY handy for a new baby. It didn't last as long as the tub, though. For Beta, I bought an open top, battery powered swing. I figured I should move into the 21st century, baby equipment-wise.

Every fall and spring since then, I have shopped at a consignment sale. I have made out very well! The best thing to buy at those sales is baby equipment. Those exersaucers that cost $50-$100 in the store? $20. A little 409 to remove the few spots the consignor missed, and you're good to go. Bumbos, that new-fangled infant chair, cost $35 (!!!) brand new. The tray is another $10. I got a Bumbo with a tray from a friend of mine. J4 used it for about 4 months. I sold the chair and the tray for $10 total. Someone got a GREAT deal on that one.

My best purchases have been strollers. Back in 2003 or 2004, I found a Peg Perego stroller for $40. They cost $360 new (well, in today's dollars). We used it until we sold all that stuff in 2006. At this most recent Rhea Lana's sale, I bought a Maclaren stroller for $60. They sell for around $200 brand new.

Since that first sale 10 years, ago, I've learned a lot. A lot about consigning and shopping and getting in early. In short, the rules of the game and how it's played. I could go on and on and on with tips for consigning, working, and shopping these sales. But we'd be here awhile so I won't. I will, however, reference another post I made when we had first moved to Northwest Arkansas where I compared Duck Duck Goose and Rhea Lana's. I didn't think anyone read my blog except maybe 4 of you. Looking back through some old posts, though, I found that RHEA LANA, the lady herself! had commented on that post! I was then embarrassed that I had said I liked the other one better.....but hey, I had just moved, and I didn't sell as much at my first Rhea Lana's as I did at Duck Duck Goose. But I've been a loyal Rhea Lana's consignor ever since!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Here in Conway, Rhea Lana's is much bigger/better than DDG, but maybe it's because she started here so she has a lot of loyalty. I've been buying for a while, but this spring was my first time selling. It went pretty well, I thought... sold all but 9 out of 55 items, and made more than I spent. :)

My problem is I don't know how much stuff costs in stores. I see a $50 piece of equipment and i have no idea if it's a good deal or not.

Wendy Thibault Kane said...

I've told Jim that, to get a good deal at a consignment sale, you really need to have shopped at the regular retail stores to know how much stuff costs. I buy a lot of play clothes at Target, JC Penney, and Children's Place. So I like to think I have a general idea of how much stuff costs. If I'm looking for some equipment, I'll try to look it up on Amazon before I go if I haven't priced it in stores.