Monday, May 23, 2011

Milestone: Earrings!

OMg! My babies are growing up! They both got their ears pierced on Saturday.

We were at Justice looking for bathing suits. Well, I was looking at bathing suits. THEY were looking at all the cute earrings and necklaces and bracelets and other assorted junk that store sells. At one point, Beta says she wants her ears pierced. This was the 2nd or 3rd time she's mentioned it in the last few months. Alpha said she wanted hers pierced, too.

So, I thought about it. I was feeling spontaneous, for some reason. I told them that if they REALLY WANTED them, we'd go that afternoon and get their ears pierced. Both girls said yes!

Next thing I know, we are headed to the Northwest Arkansas Mall.

We got them done at Claire's. I really preferred a store like Merle Norman, but I wasn't sure if there was one in the mall. (turns out there is) But I looked at Claire's ear piercing station and they had sanitizing spray, sealed earrings, and they wore gloves. Plus it was full of fun girl stuff to look at when it wasn't your turn.

We walk in and I tell the lady at the cash register that we'd like to get our ears pierced. (well, not me. Mine were done 25 years ago!) She says ok, gets the forms, explains everything and then asks who's first. Beta wanted Alpha to go, but Alpha said no. Since the whole thing was Beta's idea, we made her go first.

Well, sorta. We sat there and talked and reasoned and explained and had to wait on the lady to go check out some customers. Then talked, reasoned, showed, hugged, and prepared some more.

FINALLY, *sigh* we switched to Alpha. Alpha thought, unfortunately, that I had said it wouldn't hurt. So she got up there and sat with no problem. She was expecting it to feel just like someone "pinched her ears." Well, it didn't.

And now, in a scene that will go down in family lore forever, I will tell you Alpha's reaction.

Another employee had gotten there by then so they could do both ears at the same time. They counted to 3. Her eyes got as big around as saucers. She stared straight into my face with this surprised look. It was over with in a matter of nanoseconds. Then, with a wail worthy of her younger days, she started crying. She jumps down from the chair and screams (yes, literally, screams), "Don't do it Beta! They said it doesn't hurt but it DOES!!!!!!!!" Then she runs to the back of the store and cries.

The assistant manager and I just stand there, stunned. And trying not to laugh. And I feel guilty, too.

Needless to say, this does NOT convince Beta to get up there and give us her ears. It took another 30-45 minutes before she'd do it. Thankfully, another girl and her mother came in and were telling her that it wasn't that bad. That helped her get over the shock from seeing Alpha's reaction.

But we still had Beta to do. And time was running out. The manager had told the assistant manager to take only 10 more minutes and then she needed help b/c they were getting busy. I gave Beta 2 minutes to decide if she was really going to do it. She kept saying "wait...wait" Finally, I took hold of her arm and told her to get down b/c we were going home. She jerked it back and loudly proclaimed "No! I'm going to do it!" I had to get my mean voice on and say, "Then DO it. We've been here over an hour!" So the lady got prepped again. Beta was better but kept putting her hand up over her ear. So, against the wishes of the store, I held her hand in mine and put my other hand around her head. I looked the lady straight in the eye and said, "DO. IT." She did.

Beta didn't even cry....

She said, "oh, you know, that wasn't that bad."

The second ear was easier, although I still had to hold her down slightly. After that, she was all smiles! Alpha had calmed down some by then, too. I bought each of them a really pretty earring holder and we left.

And we never have to do that again!

Alpha got pretty emerald studs for her birthstone:


Beta got purple studs for (sigh.....) Justin Bieber *swoon*!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

alpha looks BEAUTIFUL in that pic you posted showing off her earrings! she has such pretty skin!

and, beta! oh, beta! i love that girl so much. but, i thought she got purple because she knows it's her aunt robin's favorite color?! dang justin bieber always gets in the way! HAHAHAHA!! :)

Wendy Thibault Kane said...

LOL! Sorry Robin.....you'll have to talk to her about that. Or maybe you can use your connections to get her tickets to a concert? :)