Thursday, February 21, 2008

Attention all Book People!

For all you out there who consider yourselves, "book people", and by that I don't necessarily mean that you read a lot, I have two websites for you to look at.

The first is Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace. Jim and I found Dave back in the summer of 1997. Jim's mother loaned him an audio book called "Financial Peace." Jim and his mother listened to it, and really took the information to heart. The 4 of us, me, Jim, and his parents, even took one of Dave Ramsey's "Financial Peace University" classes back in the fall of 1997. This has been one of the BEST decisions we've ever made in our marriage. Thankfully, it came along when we had only been married about 5 months. I shudder to think how things would have turned out if we had not had Dave guiding us.

Dave gives old-fashioned financial advice. He tells you to cut up your credit cards ("plastic surgery"), pay off your debt, and then pay cash for things instead of financing them. He helps you learn how to do a budget and gives you encouragement to save all you can. Using Dave's sound principles, we paid off all our student loan debt in a little under a year. We have no car payments and no credit card debt.

The second website is for all you parents out there. It's John Rosemond's Traditional Parenting. Rosemond's column runs every Wednesday in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. He also goes back to old-fashioned parenting advice. I don't read his website as much as I used to because my girls have outgrown some of their shenanigans. But his column and advice are top-notch! They will make you feel happy and confident in your parenting. He puts the power back where it belongs -- with the parents!

So go check 'em out! Maybe you'll learn something! Or at least read some funny stories. Both websites have an area with interesting or amusing tidbits on it. Both men gives classes and seminars that would be great to attend if they come to your area.

Anyway, I don't know why I felt like posting this tonight. It just kind of came to me. This is my way of saying, "These people helped me and they can help you, too!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mom sends me the Rosemond columns from the Dem-Gaz! He has some good advice.