Sunday, February 17, 2008

Covenant Group

Back in college, I was a part of a Wesley Covenant Group. A small group of us, like 5-8 people, would meet and sign a "covenant". This covenant would list certain spiritual disciplines (well, ok, MOST of them) that we all agreed to practice during the week. A sample covenant would go like this:

We will serve God and display his love by doing these things: (ok, the real wording was much more eloquent...it's been 12 years)

Attend church once a week.
Read the Bible once a day.
Pray at least once a day.
Take communion once a month.

And so on. We usually had about 8-10 things ranging from very practical "read the Bible" to abstract, "Praise God in everything I do."

I'm thinking I need this again.

Last year, Jim and I took Disciple I. It was great! I learned more than I ever have about the Bible and God. Ever since the class ended, though, I've barely touched my bible. I pray most mornings, but not every morning. I certainly don't stop to take a quiet time. I "pray" at work, but this is along the lines of, "Please, God, don't let this report be screwed up again by me."

So, this is where YOU come in. I want to form an online covenant group that "meets" here every Sunday night. I'll post about how I did during the week, and everyone else can comment on how they did.

And if you mess up, get busy, and don't meet any of your goals, THAT'S OK! This is an accountability group not a "condemn-ability" group. During college, we certainly had weeks where we were like, "God who?" because we got so busy.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll post a sample covenant. I'm thinking something short and sweet. Maybe like 3 things.

So who's with me?