Thursday, October 2, 2008

You know, we always wanted a boy....

Before Jim and I had kids, we talked about whether we'd have boys or girls. He told me, long before we were even engaged, that he'd like his son to be named James Franklin Kane IV, since he is Jim Kane III. So when I got pregnant, we just assumed we'd have a boy!

NNNNN! Wrong.

A beautiful baby girl was born to us. Our house looked like a bottle of pepto had exploded and we had stuffed animals everywhere! What are little girls made of? Sugar and spice and everything nice.

Fast forward to this past Tuesday. Alpha's class got to go on a field trip to see a play and then to a park afterward. They spent the entire day out. She had tons of fun! When I picked her up, she was telling me all about her incredibly fun day. Her favorite part, she said, was when she got to FILL HER SOCKS UP WITH SAND at the park! I turned back and noticed she had shoes on but no socks. I listened and then asked where her socks were now.

Silence. . . .

"Um, I lost them in the sand."

I'm like, what? You left them there because you couldn't find them? She says yea, and then gets very embarrassed and turns away. Great, I think. So I told her she wasn't in trouble, but that she needed to keep up with stuff like that.

Fast forward to this morning....

It is cold today so she has to wear her tennis shoes. She tells me they still have sand in them. Jim has her go shake them out on the back porch. Time is passing quickly when she comes in and announces she can't do it. I get frustrated and tell her to hurry and get her hair brushed and socks on while I shake out her shoes. (we've been running close to late nearly every day this week. I'm tired of it!)

I go outside and shake half of the Sahara out of each shoe. Seriously.

Fast forward again to tonight. I'm doing laundry. Darks with a few jeans. I pick up her pair of jeans and SAND comes spilling out onto the laundry room floor. I hurriedly make it to the backyard and proceed to dump the remaining half of the Sahara dessert out of her pants pockets.

What did she do at this park? Did she put sand in every possible holding area she had?

What happened to my sweet little girl who wears dresses and doesn't make messes?

I think I left her at about age 2. This little girl I have loves to play outside and get in the dirt! (She does like dresses, though.)

So maybe we got our boy after all.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha, ha! what if matt & i have 2 boys! what would I do with TWO BOYS? maybe one weekend a month, we could trade kids. you take a boy & i'll take alpha or beta???

i guess we have to actually get pregnant first, right?

Wendy Thibault Kane said...

Boys scare me.