Monday, November 17, 2008

Santa panic

I've got a problem developing.

My girls want a pony for Christmas.

There's one called S'mores, and one called Butterscotch.

They cost $225. EACH.

They are 3 feet tall.

Here is what I have said:

"Oh, I'm so sorry sweetie, but I just don't think we have room for such a big toy."

"It's kind of expensive."


Their replies:

"We'll just keep it in the living room."

"SANTA WILL BRING IT!!!!"

*sigh*

Good ole Santa. Bringer of Things too expensive for mom and dad.

How do you explain that Santa might have a budget as well?

What am I gonna DO???? They are BOTH just convinced that they are getting these darn ponies. I can possibly distract them with other things, but what if they are still hoping for it on Christmas morning and,when it's not there, they hate me forever?

Maybe they'll just have to work it out with their therapists.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

they won't hate you...they'll hate santa!

problem solved!

it's okay...you don't have to thank me...

Anonymous said...

p.s. butterscotch actually costs $239 dollars...but who's counting?

Anonymous said...

So why can't you just tell them that Santa has a budget? After all, he has a LOT of kids to bring stuff to. He would have limited sleigh space as well. :)

amyj said...

Oh yes. Butterscotch. Don't you like how they put that darned horse right at kids' level. You've still got a few weeks before seeing Santa. Maybe they'll forget.

Wendy Thibault Kane said...

You know, I DID try and tell them the other day that Santa has to either make or buy the presents so if he got them these ponies, other kids wouldn't get as much.

Sadly, they were not swayed. :(

And they aren't going to forget either. We're going to have to come up with some sort of full-court press on the "who really needs a pony anyway?" side.

You know, it's not just the money. It's the play value. I would bet LOTS of money that they'd play with the horse maybe all day. Maybe even all week. But then it would sit and gather dust. How many times can you make it eat? It's too big to take with you anywhere. It doesn't walk. I mean, seriously! It's quite useless, in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

So do they always get everything they want from Santa?

Anonymous said...

Just explain to them that Santa is feeling the effects of a less than thriving economy just like everyone else.

Unknown said...

Sounds like they'll learn about disappointment this year. We don't always get what we ask for, even when we ask nicely.