Saturday, January 17, 2009

Basketball!



Here are some clips from Alpha's very first basketball game! Just for reference, her team is light blue and her number is 2.

She did a really good job and played a really good game. She didn't score any points, but she did get the ball a couple of times. She also ran the wrong way once, but I don't think I'm supposed to mention that....

(Truthfully, how are you supposed to remember which way to go when you switch sides every period?)

The game was actually very exciting! I don't think I have EVER paid that much attention to a basketball game in my entire life.

One of my favorite moments was when the referee blew the whistle and nobody stopped running. He kinda threw his hands up in the air like "Oh who cares!" The girls traveled or walked with the ball nearly every time. The other parents whose kids played last year told me the kids have trouble with the whole dribbling while walking part. They said the first game or two they go easy on them, but by the third game they're calling them on it.

One of our girls got clothes-lined by a girl on the other team! The other coach just sorta shook his head. He had just told his player to guard her, or get her, or something. So she went and thew her arm around our girl's neck! The ref called a foul. The poor girl on the other team didn't really mean to do that either! She looked as surprised as us. Like, "Oh! That wasn't what you meant?" Too funny!

Alpha seemed to have a good time and really enjoy it. I think she likes wearing her uniform best of all. Here is a picture of her in her uniform:











And here is her team.

We have a game every Saturday for the next 7 weeks. I'm not sure how to fit in tax season work around all this. But I guess I'll find a way. I'll probably meet them at the gym for a game and then go back to work.

Go light blue!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, i'm proud of her for giving this a try! :) and, hopefully after a few more practices & games, she'll get the hang of it. :) playing basketball is something i never wanted to do for fear that i'd embarrass (spelling?) myself, so i have to her props!! way to go, alpha!!

MBKimmy said...

Nice to meet you Wendy - thanks for the encouragement!