Thursday, January 15, 2009

Does it ever get easier?

I've got a new parental anxiety.

Alpha is playing basketball.

They had their first practice tonight. When she told me she wanted to play, I was like, "do you even know what basketball is????"

Turns out, she's not half bad! There are 6 girls on her team and they are all 2nd graders. At least two of them go to her school. One other was in her class in kindergarten, but now goes to a different school. So she knows over half the team already. Ah. Relief for a nervous mommy.

But her playing style.......well, like I said. She's not half bad. She made a couple of baskets and could dribble the ball. She didn't understand how to play defense. But neither did the girl she was supposed to be guarding so they were about 10 feet apart the entire time. I have a feeling she's the one we'll be yelling at to, "run the other way!"

Our first game is Saturday. THIS Saturday. They've had approx 45 mins of practice and then they have a game. This should be interesting......I'll have to video some of it for y'all.

So tomorrow night we have to go shopping for basketball shorts. She wore her pink skort tonight with the heart on it. :) (Yes. She played basketball in a skirt.)

I hope I can contain myself during this game. I'm certainly not going to yell stuff at her. She doesn't listen to me at home in the quiet. Why would she listen to me on the basketball court? I just hope she can play and have fun and not come home feeling bad if things don't go too well.

Why is this stuff always harder for the parents than the kids?

On our way home, she said to me, "See, I told you I can play basketball!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good for alpha! :o)