Tuesday, March 17, 2009

It just keeps getting better!

Wow....the things in my life that are helping me get my mind off tax season! First, we end up with a dog. We STILL haven't found the owner. We've had a couple of phone calls based on our flyers, but so far nothing has panned out. Jim and I are totally at a loss as to what to do. I guess my prayer to find the owner, and quick, isn't going to be answered.

Then today, at 10:00 am, I get a phone call from Beta's preschool. Apparently, she was running back to her table and tripped on a Barbie doll. In so doing, she fell and hit her chin on the table. They said it might need stitches......

Usually, during tax season, Jim has to take care of things like this. This time, though, when we were faced with injury, I knew I couldn't stay at work. I would have been texting Jim every 2 minutes to see what was going on. So I sent my boss a quick email and headed to preschool.

Since it's late, I will make my long story short. Beta needed 3 stitches in her chin! After waiting 1 hour and 20 minutes for the doctor's office to "work us in", (I had to go get a little pushy....) they took off the bandage that preschool had put on and are like "Oh! She needs to go to the procedure room!" Yea, once they saw it, suddenly we were on the short list.....Anyway......

They put some cold goop on her chin that numbed it. It must have worked like a charm b/c she didn't flinch at all during the procedure! And yes....as the mom I had to watch the whole thing. Needle, thread, and all.... (I remember being a senior in high school and going to a career fair...Some nurses were there and knew my mom and tried to convince me to go to nursing school.....Mom and I were like, "um, no.")

I still can't believe she didn't flinch. Thankfully she couldn't exactly see what they were doing so that helped.

Afterwards, she got a "certificate of bravery" which entitled her to a free kid's meal at chick-fil-a. As an added bonus, since it was St. Patrick's day and we were both wearing green, we each got a free ice cream cone. So, a good time was had by all! Well, um, ok not really. :]

She has to go back in one week and get them out. She's very worried that it will hurt. I told her it probably wouldn't. (it's ok for moms to lie.....right?) She asked if I had ever had stitches and if they hurt to be taken out. I told her I had had stitches, and I didn't remember if they hurt or not. (lie #2) (Honestly, it was just staples from the two c-sections. And it really didn't hurt to get them out.)

She's secretly kind of excited to get to go back to preschool tomorrow and tell all her friends she got stitches! Oh, the things that make 5 year olds happy....

No comments: