Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sad news

I have sad news to report. I hope this is a premature post.

We don't have the dog any more. He got out. Ironic, isn't it? Alpha had a basketball game today at 5:30. It was a make-up game from the ice storm. After that we had to rush to church. We got home about 7:30 and had supper. The dog had been outside, and we decided to keep him there while we ate.

When we were done, Jim went outside to let the dog in. I thought it was weird that we hadn't heard a peep from him. Jim came back in and said the dog was gone. He noticed a huge hole under the fence. He either dug out, or, in my opinion, the hole is plenty big that he didn't have to dig. I think he just hadn't found the hole until today.

Jim has gone out looking for him. He didn't see him in our neighborhood. He's in the car now trying other neighborhoods.

Meanwhile, I'm at home tending to the greatest cry-fest the Kane household has ever known! (sorry to jest.....trying to lighten the mood a little....) People warned me that if we had the dog for too long, the girls would get attached to him. I'm afraid that, even if we had found the owner within an hour of meeting the dog, the girls still would be crying their eyes out.

Here are their words, just to make you cry:

Beta: If we don't find him, can we get another dog? I really wanted a dog! (She had already asked if she could bring her puppy to preschool for show and tell.)

Alpha: (I told her, like Jim did, that perhaps the puppy had gone back to his home....) She responded: "He didn't!" I asked why and she said, "Because he wanted US!!!" I think I bawled just as much as she did.

I didn't try to hide my own tears. I tried to be hopeful and tell them that God was watching out for the puppy and that He would take care of him, whether He brought him back to us or not. I prayed with each girl. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to help.

So who knows if we'll ever see him again. I hope he is safe. He is such a sweet little dog! I hope he somehow found his way back home, but I'm an adult, and I know the chances of that.

Please pray. Not necessarily that we find the dog, but that we all recover from our heartache.

No comments: