Saturday, March 31, 2007

The chicken or the egg?

THIS. IS. WEIRD. We were boiling eggs to dye today. As I placed the eggs in the water, I heard a distinct "peep, peep". I laughed and made a joke to DH about the chickens chirping inside. He came over and listened. It was a distinct chirp noise. We silently looked at each other. Nah, couldn't be. Obviously not. Of course not. We are IMAGINING THINGS!

Still more hesitation.

Come on, we're being silly. There can't be a chicken in it. The eggs were just bought last night and have been refrigerated the entire time.

However........

A quick search of some not-so-great web pages turned up lots of information on chickens and eggs. Not exactly what I was looking for but close enough. So......

I turned on the burner.

Yes, I did. Told myself this was ridiculous.

The eggs are now dyed pretty girly colors and even have glitter on them. (Pictures coming soon!) I think we did the right thing. Or at least, I'm trying NOT to think about it.

Here is what I learned about chickens and eggs that made me decide to go ahead:

The eggs you buy in the store aren't fertilized.
Chickens can lay eggs that are not fertilized.
If you don't pick the eggs up daily, the chicken will quit laying them.
Baby chicken eggs need to be kept very warm in order to hatch.
If there had been a chicken in there old enough to chirp, it would have been pecking itself out of the shell.

My best guess is this:
When I placed the eggs in the water, some had tiny holes in them. Air bubbles started to come out. My first thought, and ultimately, my last, was that the air escaping from the tiny hole was making the noise. It was just a REALLY LOUD noise!

It weirded us out. Kinda puts a new spin on the "resurrection eggs" they sell these days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG. You posted TWO DAYS IN A ROW!

I think you should get an award. :)

I'm guessing DH is someone who's name starts with a "J".

Wendy Thibault Kane said...

I'm playing hooky from work. Whohoo! Ok, not really, but you challenged me so I had to step up!