Monday, July 30, 2007

And the thunder rolls...

BOOM!

And with that one sound, every one had to get out of the pool. For at least 30 minutes. If it thundered again, the 30 minutes would start over. It was 5:00 and we had been swimming for 20-30 minutes. Tears ensued. Thankfully it was not a full-blown, kick & scream fit like I used to have to deal with. Thank GOD those days are over. (I really mean that. I needed God to get through them back then.)

Anyway, the comments once we got home and someone thought I was out of earshot were very amusing. Alpha said that if she had her own pool, when it thundered, she would yell "Everyone IN the pool!" She obviously knows nothing about weather, nature, and law suits.

Her second comment was that once she gets old enough to have her own house, she will have a "water house" where you can swim all through it.

I did try and explain the rationale between thunder, lightning, and dying. Lightning likes big pools of water, and lightning will kill you. She kind of got it. I told her we used to get really mad, too, when we had to get out of the pool.

Childhood is tough. It's so hard to learn some of life's lessons. I just hope I can keep teaching them rather than having my girls find them out the hard way.

No comments: