Saturday, November 17, 2007

Resistance is futile...

Today, my cousin Jennifer and I took the girls shopping at Candy Cane Lane. It's a holiday shopping show put on by the Junior Auxiliary of Rogers/Bentonville. It was a lot like Holiday House in Little Rock, which I love love love! but don't get to go to now that we moved.

They had the usual vendors of girly stuff there. Plenty of food for the holidays. Expensive baby and children's items.

And Webkinz.

Have you heard of webkinz? I had heard the name, but didn't know much about them. As we were walking around, both girls were less thrilled than I thought they'd be. I'm not sure they're into shopping yet. Unless it's toys. (Alpha even said at one point, "can we just keep walking around, FASTER, and quit stopping to look at everything???" She's not going to be my shopping buddy, I guess.)

But I digress.

The girls found a booth selling these stuffed animals called Webkinz. They each come with a "secret code" inside their tag. You go online, register and enter the code, and then you can play with your "pet" in a virtual world.

Oh joy.

We ended up having some difficulty with it, though. Once home, we tried Alpha's first while Beta was napping. Well, Alpha's pet, the chihuahua, is December's "pet of the month". So, it popped up a warning message during registration that said if we adopted the pet now, she wouldn't receive the "goody bag" in her online room. But, it had an option to go ahead and adopt. She said she wanted to do that so I hit "yes" for "continue with adoption".

It didn't work.

The message came up AGAIN! I hit yes, AGAIN! The only thing I could do was hit "no" and then it canceled everything we'd put in so far.

Jim said they probably made it where you can't register that pet until December b/c they had too many irate mothers calling and complaining about purchasing a pet one day before a promotion like that.

Anyway, Alpha was upset at first, but now she seems ok with waiting until December. She asked me tonight how many days it was until December.

Ugh.

I believe it's 13 days until December. Until I get paid again. Until I purchase my one-way plane ticket BACK TO JAMAICA!

There are some days/nights when colic seems preferable to this. Especially when they both start fighting. But that's another post.

In the meantime, I'll be playing with my very own Webkinz! Yes, it was Buy 2 Get 1 FREE! Why couldn't it have been Buy 1 Get 1 Free??? I have no idea what to do with this 3rd stuffed animal. I thought about donating it to Toys for Tots or something similar, but then I realized that kids whose families can't afford toys probably don't have high speed internet either.

Oh, well. I'll think of that tomorrow.

No comments: