Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Harry Potter 7: Who Lives, Who Dies

I have been reading many editorials, theories, and articles about the 7th and final Harry Potter book. Surprisingly, I've got some theories that I haven't seen mentioned yet. (I wish that fact really "meant" something, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I have yet to guess anything that has happened in the Harry Potter series.)

So here is my partial theory about Voldemort: He is NOT going to die. The prophecy states "The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches....." According to www.dictionary.com, "vanquish" means:

1. to conquer or subdue by superior force, as in battle.
2. to defeat in any contest or conflict; be victorious over: to vanquish one's opponent in an argument.
3. to overcome or overpower: He vanquished all his fears.

Notice that it does not say "kill". I do not believe Harry will use Avada Kedavra on Voldemort, even if all his horcruxes are destroyed.

The second part of the prophecy supports this theory as well. It says "For neither can live while the other survives." That word "survives" has always thrown me. It doesn't say "neither can live while the other one does." It says while the other one "survives". JK Rowling has mentioned that she worded the prophecy very carefully. This makes me think there's way more to this than Harry and Voldemort have a duel and Harry kills him with a well-timed "avada kedavra".

And that's as far as I've gotten. I told you it was partial. More later!

No comments: