Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Just my $0.02

I tried to mail a bill yesterday. I signed the check, sealed the envelope, put the stamp and address label on it, and headed out to the mailbox.

Wait.

Wasn't there a postage increase?

Didn't it start today?

Hmmm. My stamps just say "First Class". They don't SAY 39 cents. Surely the post office isn't smart enough to change designs.

But what if they are?

Oh, drat. I'll wait.


Fastforward to today:
Setting: post office customer service line
First customer: I need some 2 cent stamps.
Clerk: Ok, that'll be something something. (I couldn't hear how many she bought.)

Second customer: I, uh, forgot about the postage increase so I need some 2 cent stamps.
Clerk: Ok, that'll be......

Third customer: Some 2 cent stamps please.
Clerk: Ok, that'll be........

Me: Hi, I need some 2 cent stamps.
Clerk: How many?
Me; Um, oh, 20 I guess.
Clerk: Ok, that'll be 40 cents.
Me: Thank you!

At this point everyone laughed because we were ALL buying 2 cent stamps.

Then when I get home, I realize I only have 11 remaining 39 cent stamps. I've now got 19 2-cent stamps. I guess I'll save the remaining 8 and use them on the NEXT postage increase.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, now you'll have forever stamps and won't need the 2-cent stamps anymore. So you'll have to buy 11 more 2-cent stamps and 1 3-cent stamp and put them all on 1 letter.

Wendy Thibault Kane said...

You know, I've never done it, but I've been very tempted to mail a letter in the past using nothing but 1 cent stamps. They are usually left over from all these postage increases.

Do they sell 3 cent stamps?