Monday, May 7, 2007

You say tomato, I say toMAHto

We've done it! We've finally gotten a garden! Alpha wanted to grow some tomatoes. We looked for pots to plant them in, but they were so expensive! So......with my husband's best wishes, we built a garden. Ok. ok. HE built a garden. I did, however, start chopping up sod with a shovel while he was buying the landscape timbers.

So, here are some pictures of the progression of our garden!

First, the girls and I marked off our 8ft x 4ft area.



Jim took our Honda Civic to Lowe's and bought 10 landscape timbers. Yes. A Honda Civic. He folded the back seats down so that they stretched from the front seat to the trunk. He said a bunch of guys in overalls looked at him funny when he pulled up with a Civic.




Here he is digging up the sod. What you can't tell from this picture is that *I* had actually made it that far while he was buying the landscape timbers.


Here is Alpha supervising.


2/3 of the way done!
Alpha is helping fill the garden with bags of topsoil. We used part topsoil and part Miracle Grow garden soil for flowers and vegetables.

Beta decided to "help" spread the dirt around by shoveling it OUT of the garden! She had seen me doing that earlier with the sod so she thought she was doing a great deed.
Coming soon: Finished pictures! We have 2 tomato plants and one pepper plant in our garden. Unfortunately, by this time it was quite late so I don't have pictures of the finished product. I'll post those this week, though. But I'm so excited that we are actually going to try and GROW vegetables!

Please comment!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like fun!! May your veggies be protected from hungry squirrels....

Wendy Thibault Kane said...

Thanks, Holly! Actually, since we live in the middle of a field, squirrels are NOT a problem. What I'm afraid we will have, however, are birds. We planted two maple trees in the fall and they are beginning to leaf out and look pretty. We've seen some interesting birds in our backyard. I'm just afraid that come mid-summer, the birds will find the tomatoes and we'll have one heck of a problem on our hands!