Monday, October 22, 2007

I'm not ready for this.

Hi, all. Well, we are on the cusp of a new era in our household. We are starting to see signs of school-age children rather than preschoolers. Alpha is coming home with new phrases on her lips. Two that she says frequently are "Drake & Josh" and "Hannah Montana".

Oh, boy.

Anyway, tonight we were watching Spongbob Squarepants. Then, Drake & Josh came on. OMG! Drake and Josh! *SCREAM!*

The girls had seen an episode of Drake & Josh when my cousin Jennifer babysat them a few weeks ago. Jennifer works in toy marketing for a LARGE retailer and assured me that Drake & Josh were ok.

Well, apparently, she hasn't seen this one episode. Tonight, Drake & Josh were entering a home makeover contest for their parent's 5th wedding anniversary. (Drake & Josh are stepbrothers.) They won the contest and were notified at the movie theater where Josh works. As they are celebrating, Drake runs over to the food court, grabs a girl, and kisses her hard on the mouth. He stops and says, "I just won a contest!" The girl then smiles and starts kissing him again.

Josh, not to be outdone, grabs a rather attractive female who is walking through the lobby. After he gives "her" a long kiss, this deep voice says, "hey, thanks man!" It was a transvestite!!!!!!!

WTF? OMG! I'm like what r u thinkin? (sorry, I went and read some chat forums on nick.com)

It shocked and disappointed me. The show was very good up until that point. The guys are truly funny and silly. There was no bad language (shocker!) The situation wasn't too "adult". But then they have to go and throw something like THAT in!!!!!

Luckily, I just sat there silently and the girls didn't understand it. But still, I don't want to have to explain transvestites to my 6 and 3 year olds! I wasn't really comfortable with them seeing Drake kiss the "real" girl, but that didn't bother me as much. I mean, they're going to see people kiss on TV from time to time. They even see me and Jim kiss some. Some of that is healthy and normal.

Now, to be fair, the show is rated Youth 7. Which means it's appropriate for 7 year olds and up. But heck, I don't even want any 11 year olds exposed to transvestites! That's a teenage subject as far as I'm concerned.

I went to nickelodeon.com to try and write a complaint, but I cannot find a single place to do it. They have nothing on there "for parents" or as feedback or even to submit a question. Well, one place allows you to submit a question, but it's more for the kids. (I read some of the Q&As)

In the meantime, I'm hoping I can just keep the TV off at that time of day. If it comes on at 5:00, I can say we have to watch the news and avoid the show. I'll probably treat them like I do the Bratz dolls. If I went in there and announced, "Henceforth, there will be no more Drake & Josh", I would have mutiny on my hands. So, I'll just casually "forget" that the show comes on. At all. Maybe we'll try again in a year or so. I might watch a few more episodes to see if they are any better. I did look for some reviews on the web by parents. I found a few at Amazon.com and some at Common Sense Media. All the reviews were positive. I wonder where this episode came from?

Ugh. Give me a temper tantrum any day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you aren't one of those who took their little boy to see Transformers and ended up having to explain a very awkward scene. Granted it was rated PG-13, but it is based on a toy and a kid's cartoon.

Anonymous said...

You know, I tried watching Hannah Montana once & I didn't like it.

Of course, I'm not a 10 to 16 year old girl, either. So, maybe that's why.

I watch Drake & Josh & several others shows with Jackson & they've all been pretty clean. Maybe you guys just picked a bad day to sample!

Has that 2nd tooth fallen out yet?

Wendy Thibault Kane said...

David, so what is the awkward scene in Transformers? I haven't seen it. And WHY would they make a movie about kid toys be rated PG-13???

Robin, no, the tooth has not fallen out yet. It's very very loose and the permanent tooth is coming in behind it. I've tried telling her to pull it out herself, but she refuses. I hope it comes out soon.