Thursday, October 18, 2007

Putting mom in her place...

Ah. Parenthood. I once read in a magazine that Parenthood is "The Great Equalizer". No matter your education, work training, qualifications, etc, your kids will bring you back down to earth.

Enter Alpha! A very intelligent 6 year old. Has a big heart. Loves to play outside. Has never met a stranger.

And thinks her mom couldn't possibly understand math.

Her class is learning to call numbers either odd or even. This week she had to circle all the even numbers and put triangles around all the odd numbers. And color them different colors.

She messed it up. In fact, didn't even come close! She also had to list some even numbers so she wrote 1, 2, 4, 9. Her odd numbers were like 1, 2, 3, 6.

I tried, albeit poorly, to explain what the even numbers were. She would NOT believe me! She kept insisting that her teacher knew what they were and that he would say the same thing she would say. I kept telling her the paper was going to be wrong. Finally, she said, "Well, I'm leaving it this way. We'll JUST SEE who's right!"

WHAT?????? 4 years of a rigorous Hendrix math education to be told that I couldn't possibly understand this concept? Well, I never.......

The next day she did come home explaining that SHE had confused the patterns of numbers at school. She also recited the even numbers for 2-10.

Keeping mommy on track....
The other day, I was going to exercise in the morning. I had my exercise clothes on, breakfast had been eaten and the dishes cleared away. I was fully ready. And on my computer. As I was sitting there, Beta says, "aren't you going to exercise?"I answer yes. A few moments pass. She says, "I'll put your tape in!" I slowly get up. I think to myself, hey, this is a good motivator.

Tonight after supper, I took a walk. I took Beta with me b/c she was the only one who agreed to WALK with me and not ride any toys. I told her we had to walk fast. So what does she do? She takes off running! So I took off after her. We ran almost all the way to the corner. When she stopped, I slowed down and then passed her! She hates that so she started back up again. We then walked and ran back to the other corner on our street. It wasn't very long, and it was getting dark, but it was a great aerobic sprint workout! So now I've got my motivational buddy. I just mention exercising and Beta will put me to it!

I love my girls!!

No comments: