Tuesday, October 30, 2007

MY first tooth!

I did it! I pulled my first loose tooth tonight! You'll remember that when Alpha discovered she had a loose tooth, we actually discovered she had TWO loose teeth. The first one fell out at school.

This second one was not budging. The back had let go, but not the front. It's been that way for weeks and hasn't gotten any looser. I've been suggesting she pull it for some time now. She tried to do it herself, but she wasn't willing to pull it to where it hurt.

Tonight we decorated Halloween cupcakes. After fighting over sprinkles and making a big mess, alpha says she doesn't want to eat any of them b/c she really doesn't like that icing OR the sprinkles! I jokingly tell her that if she doesn't eat one of those cupcakes, I'll pull her tooth! Having a bit of her mother in her, she says, "OK! I don't want to eat one!" and turns and smiles at me. I asked if she really wanted her tooth pulled and she says yes.

Ok.

Can this be that hard?

Being the modern parent, I google for "how to pull a tooth" and get everything from the old string tied to the doorknob to "NO! Only a DENTIST can pull a tooth!"

*sigh*

So we both get in the bathroom. I start wiggling it myself. I ended up twisting it and it moved! It also started bleeding a little. Finally, I got it out!

Unlike the first tooth, however, this one hurt. She cried a bit and had this sad expression of sudden distrust on her face. I felt so bad! I knew the tooth needed to come out, but I still didn't want it to hurt. I gave her lots of hugs and told her I used to scream and fight when my parents tried to get my teeth out. (really......ask my mother)

She really didn't cry for long, and then ran in to show daddy her latest pulled tooth. She's now very excited that the tooth fairy is coming to visit again. The tooth fairy may have to pay up a little more this time b/c of inflation, and because this one hurt. (and because maybe that was the tooth fairy's fault..ssshhhh!)

2 down, 18 to go!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Alpha for losing her 2nd tooth!

And, congratulations to you for PULLING your 1st tooth!

(I do have to admit that I got a little squemish when you said you twisted it! Can you give Alpha an extra $1 dollar from me cuz' she was so brave? And, give an extra $1 to yourself, for being brave as well!)

Unknown said...

She was brave!

I remember sitting on my parents' bed while they wrapped a thread (or floss?) around the loose one and pulled.

Wendy Thibault Kane said...

Alpha got $3 from the tooth fairy. She was very excited. I'm thinking this is probably how much the tooth fairy will bring from now on.

At bedtime, she suggested that she should get $2 for her 2nd tooth, $3 for her third, and so on until she gets $100!