Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I guess the joke was on me.

So I tried to think of an April Fool's joke to play on all y'all. And I couldn't. Well, I could think of a few, but you never know how a "joke" will go. Sometimes, they go awry.

So today I just focused on how busy I am and forgot about April Fool's day. Except to note, of course, that 2 weeks from today my new life will end and I will hopefully pop back into my old life. And get to see my children again.

So now, I have a little multiple choice question for you.

What is a mule?

A. A cross between a donkey and a horse.
B. A 4-wheeler used on a farm.
C. One-half of a pair of shoes.
D. All of the above.

And the correct answer is.........













D!

How is this funny? Well, speaking hypothetically, let's say you had heard of a mule as a cross between a donkey and a horse. Would it not seem logical, then, that on a Schedule F - Farm Income & Expenses, you would put it down as a horse and depreciate it for 7 years? Well, wouldn't it?

Well, you'd be wrong. Especially if it was actually labeled "Kawasaki mule". Apparently, those in the farming community buy these 4-wheelers called "mules". And they have nothing to do with a cross-bred animal who pulls things.

And this makes your country-boy boss laugh, and laugh, and laugh.

(For those of you who, like me, weren't raised on a farm, born on a farm, lived on a farm, or even ever BEEN on a farm, thinking a "Kawasaki mule" is a horse/donkey hybrid is like thinking a Ford Mustang could be run at Oaklawn.)

I was actually glad I could make my boss laugh so much. He's been under a lot of stress lately, you could say. I was slightly embarrassed. Nobody likes to be the butt of the joke. But hey, I truly didn't know. And I don't know if that makes it ok or just makes it even worse. :)

1 comment:

David said...

Nice. Similarly, when I was working at a grocery store one summer, a lady asked a co-worker where to find the PET milk. He told her to try aisle 19. A minute later, she was glaring as she walked out of the pet food aisle and searched for someone else to ask.