Saturday, August 11, 2007

Bringing back memories...

I took some food over to Sheila's house tonight. Everyone was doing as well as could be expected. It brought back tons of memories, though, on what it's like to lose someone close to you. She and the kids seemed ok just talking and stuff. The problem is going to be tonight when everyone goes home and they are in that house without him. It was hard enough on me, as a daughter, to lose my father. I can't begin to imagine how it would be to lose my husband. I don't even want to think about it.

I want to reassure them that they will eventually be able to wake up without crying. And make it through a day without tears, and even laugh again! What I can't assure them is that they will "get over it". You never get over it. You learn a new life that doesn't involve him, and you learn to be ok with it. But you never forget him. You never encounter a new milestone or experience without thinking "I wonder what dad would have thought about this!"

Ok. I'm about to make myself cry. I'd better quit.

Go tell someone you love them. Do it now. Tomorrow may be too late.

And thanks to everyone who prayed. The other morning Sheila asked for a sign that everything was going to be ok. She woke up with a sense of peace. I think God touched her.

No comments: