Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Open up and say AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Well, we hit a new milestone today. Beta had her first visit to the dentist.

She probably wishes it were her last.

Alpha went today, too, but it was not her first visit. Plus, Alpha isn't scared of anything! (except mean male teachers...see previous post)

Alpha went first. It wasn't hard to determine that. The hygienist asks "who's going first?" and Alpha says "me!" and Beta says "Alpha!" I think one problem was that Beta got to watch everything they did to Alpha. So when it came time for Beta, she put on the brakes and refused to walk over to the chair. Or sit in it. Or open her mouth. Or do anything remotely resembling compliance with common-sense dental standards.

We eventually got her to get her teeth cleaned. Well, I'm not sure exactly how many teeth, other than the front ones, the hygienist could reach, but she did get some fluoride in her mouth. The dentist even looked in her mouth. Well, with some mechanical assistance. Now THAT was scary to me! But it worked. I tell ya. Pediatric Dentistry is not for the faint of heart.

The best part of all...NO CAVITIES!!!! On either girl! Whew! No more out-of-pocket expenses.

Alpha was absolutely perfect! I've got to come up with something extra special to give her for being so good. She's also getting her 6 year molars! I had forgotten about them. She said a few weeks ago that her mouth felt funny back there. I figured it had just gotten burned by hot food or she had bit her cheek or something. She didn't complain much so I didn't worry about it.

Now I know that she was getting her first permanent teeth! She still hasn't lost any baby teeth. But that's one milestone I'm not ready to get to. It's the first milestone I haven't hurried toward. I remember HATING loose teeth.

Well, I could go into more gory detail, but nobody wants that. I wish I had had a camera to show you all the waiting room. It was decorated like the ocean and had huge fish hanging from the ceiling. It was the absolute coolest waiting room I've ever been in. It looked like a museum display. I wish they had had that when I was a kid.

No comments: