Monday, August 6, 2007

My how time flies...

I'm kind of feeling down tonight. Let me detail 4 things that happened today.

1. While the girls were eating breakfast, and I was putting away dishes, we watched a few minutes of a new show on TLC called "Bringing Home Baby". Instead of "A Baby Story" where they end with the birth, this show started with them coming home from the hospital. I saw the end of one show and the first few minutes of the next one. (As a side note, they must have researched these moms and found those that were likely to have NO post-partum depression whatsoever b/c these ladies were actually smiling and laughing. They didn't look like me those first few days at home one bit!) Anyway, it was a cute show and reminded me so much of how little my girls used to be.

2. While we were at the library, the girls played with a little baby named Phoebe. She could pull up and stand holding onto the wall and hit it really hard. Both girls had a blast watching her. Once again, it made me think back....

3. We went shoe shopping for Alpha this afternoon. She'll need tennis shoes for PE when school starts and all she has are crocs. We bought her a size 1.5 and she tied them herself! (Remind yourself that she's only 6 years old and is now out of "kids sizes".)

4. The log that broke the camel's back....I was sorting through old clothing finding items for a consignment sale. I pulled out a bunch of clothes to see if Beta could wear them this winter. They were size 4T. She pulled on each pair of pants and they all fit NOW! I'm talking, if we were in a store, I would so buy them. Her 3T's are up around her ankles and size 4T fits her perfectly.

WAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! My "little one", what I used to call her, is wearing size 4T! That means she's getting closer to not being in T's. She's less than 6 months away from her 4th birthday! I don't have babies any more! I wish I could just stop time for a little bit longer....I mean, there are definite advantages to them getting older. But after seeing those newborns and that near-toddler today, the girls just looked so old to me! I guess I didn't realize how old they were getting.

Or how old I'm getting, for that matter. But we won't go there tonight...
Nor will I discuss how my body still looks like I had my "little one" 6 weeks ago....
(The late Erma Bombeck once noted that she kept telling people her belly bulge was because she "carried the baby low" when the "baby" was 18 years old!)

Ok. That's enough pouting. As my cousin's bathroom plaque says, "Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!" I'm sure I'll be fine tomorrow. At least we've got 2 more years until kindergarten...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(1) After never having heard it before in my life, this is the 2nd time in a week that I have heard someone mention the phrase "Put on your big girl panties," and, I have to say, I still find it a little disturbing.

(2) When our baby is born, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask to ask you stuff your grumpies in a box before you come for a visit. :-)

Wendy Thibault Kane said...

Visiting a baby will just make me want another one. I'm not sure Jim is going to let me visit y'all until your kid is about 2.

P.S. (I'm not that big a fan of the "big girl...." saying either. It just seemed to be appropriate with me being slightly depressed and the girls growing up...