Saturday, September 8, 2007

Fizzy Lemonade

Hi, all! We've been getting soaked up here in Northwest Arkansas! I'm sure the LPGA tournament hasn't liked it, but we sure do need it! Everyone's lawn will be lush and green now. Maybe our trees will quit dying as well.

Friday night, we decided to stay in rather than go out. Rain being one of the reasons. Money, the other. I have two recipes I'd like to share with you.

Chicken Burritos
Ok. This isn't really a recipe. It's just a way to put things together ala Sandra Lee's Semi-homemade style. To add some oomf to burritos, I cooked Rice-a-Roni Mexican style rice. This added lots of flavor and bulk to our burritos. They were delicious! I sprinkled some cut up chicken tenders with Julio's seasoning (It's from Mexico) and then cooked them in the skillet.

We then assembled the burritos using the chicken, rice, sour cream, salsa, and cheese. YUM! Qdoba, watch out!

Fizzy Lemonade
This is a modified Sandra Lee recipe. In fact, it's so modified, I'm not even sure I'd call it the same recipe. Sandra Lee has a recipe for Lemon Drop Champagne. It looked so good on her show the other day, that I wanted to try it. Well, we had no champagne, and I'm not that big a fan of it anyway. So, I bought the lemonade concentrate, like she said. Then, instead of sparkling water, which I couldn't find (thanks WALMART!), I used sprite.

All I did was mix the concentrate with 3 1/2 concentrate cans of sprite instead of water. Voila! It was fizzy, tart, and refreshing! I seriously think it could be used as lemon punch. We had the rest of it today at lunch and boy, was it SOUR! Maybe a bit more sugar would help. Or some actual water. But it was still delicious! I can't wait to serve it somewhere.

Oh, and I tried crushing Ferrara Pan lemon drops, like her recipe says, but they didn't crush that well or look as nice as hers.

So those are my two home-tested recipes from our rainy weekend.

Tune in tomorrow for a special announcement!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you would characterize the drivel that Sandra Lee spews as recipes. Sheesh.

Jim, back me up here.

Wendy Thibault Kane said...

Oh, really? Well, I'm sorry to have to tell you this. But when Ne comes along, Sandra Lee's "semi" homemade will seem like gourmet to you.

I hope you like take-out.

:)

Jim Kane said...

Hey, give Sandra a break! Her show is as much about the presentation as it is about the food, something most of the other chefs (Emeril excepted) usually leave out. My kids love to tablescape. Oh, and did I mention that she's hot? Mmm, yeah.