Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The spiders can stay.

Tooth update: Nothing yet. They don't even hurt her while she's eating. I even fed her an apple today! I figure one day they'll just fall out with no more fanfare than when she sneezes.

Now, on to my current thinking.

Ants.

Lots of tiny, crawly, ants. I do not like them.

We have them. It's been nearly one year since we moved in here, and these are the first ants we've seen. I think the rain from this past weekend brought them in. I've seen them in the kitchen, Beta's room, our bedroom, and our bathroom. I'm wondering if the new construction behind us has disturbed some ant hills in nearby lots.

Anyway, our other problem is spiders. LOTS of spiders. If you look in any corner of any room in our house, you will see at least 1 spider. They are small and brown. Not brown recluses luckily. More like the kinds that make cobwebs.

I have been fighting them for months. Cleaning up their webs, smashing their little bodies.

Until the other day.

That's the day I saw nature in action and decided the spiders could stay. The ants were getting caught in the spiders' webs! There is a web by our front door that has probably 15 ants in it. The spiders near our back door aren't doing as well, but we've still found ants caught up there.

I'm wondering if there's any way to transport some spiders from other parts of the house to the back door. Or outside. We had a huge spider that kept spinning a web near our hummingbird feeder. I'm not sure where he went, but I wish he were out there on the ground now.

So now I thank God for the spiders. They are helping to keep the ants at bay. We've still had to kill a few, but I think the spiders are deterring rampant ant exploration. At least I hope they are.

Plus, their webs will make cool Halloween decorations!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, like, you know this means if we come visit you, we're staying at a hotel, right?

Because your brother is DEATHLY afraid of spiders.

They make him scream like a girl.

Wendy Thibault Kane said...

heh heh heh
MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
*evil laugh*

Anonymous said...

Try Terro brand ant bait, the ones with the liquid dispensers (not the ones you have to put the liquid on), they work GREAT!!! Here we have no cold season to kill the bugs off and we had a huge ant infestation, put up the raid traps and they literally marched right past them. We put up the Terro bait, and since the bait is like 90% sugarwater, they immediately went for it! The active poison is 5% borax (or something like that) so it doesn't kill them immediately, they take it back to the queen and then they ALL die, the ENTIRE nest! The thing to remember with it is to let them eat it and take it away, don't kill them, just console yourself in that they are going to all be gone within a week!

I know spiders are more natural, but they won't take out the nest.