Tuesday, June 12, 2007

How much is that birdy in the window?

IT HAPPENED! The last two birds left the nest! They flew the coop! However, they didn't leave us totally. I'll get to that in a minute.

Here is a picture of the last two still hanging onto the comfort and security of the nest:


Then, last Saturday morning, we were lying in bed a bit later than usual. I heard a fluttering sound. I thought it was Beta, but then I heard her in the other room. When we investigated, we found one of the baby birds hopped up on our window sill!

Isn't that neat? He stayed there for several minutes. Enough for me to get 3 or 4 pictures and for the girls to see him as well. He was probably just scared to death of us and flying to move.

He did move, though, and here is him and his brother (or she and her sister, how would I know?) on the roof of our neighbor's house. His brother had been on the ground underneath our window the entire time this little bird was ON our window.


And now the nest lies empty. I guess we should take it down. I'd like to send it to a show-and-tell somewhere, but I'm not sure if it has germs on it or not. I'm not even sure how to get it down. Those things are stuck! I guess we're no longer bird-sitters. I can't believe how fast they grew! It only took about a week from hatching to leaving the nest. I know they grow up fast, but come on.

I supposed when our nest is empty, it will feel like it's only been a week as well.

No comments: