Monday, June 4, 2007

My peeps!

Have I posted about the birds we have at our house? I'm not sure I have.

We have a bird, a robin, who made a nest in the crook of our gutter. It might not be a tree, but it's a very well-protected space. It stayed put through a storm and there are no natural enemies lurking on shingled roofs waiting to attack.

So.......one day I climbed up a ladder and looked into the nest. Here is what I saw:



Yep! Four pretty blue eggs!

Well, on Thursday, they hatched! We've got babies! All 4 of them made it. The momma bird is very protective. She will fly away when we go out the front door, but she only flies to the next yard. One time she waited on the roof. The girls have been able to watch her bring worms to each of her baby birds. I have no idea where she finds these worms, but she always seems to bring back one for each baby.

Here is a picture of her feeding her babies:


Here are the babies sleeping:




These birds have been very educational for the girls. I haven't put them on the ladder to look, but I would take a picture and then show them the picture. They were so excited when the eggs hatched! Beta knew just how it happened. She said the momma bird just started jumping up and down on those eggs so much that they cracked! That's how the baby birds got out! Alpha, who is about to finish kindergarten this week, has learned in school that the birds have an "egg tooth" or something like that, to peck their way out.

What's interesting is that I think God sent those birds there. See, in our previous house, we had a park-like backyard. There were tons of birds, squirrels, a chipmunk, and even the occasional rabbit. I loved it! Now we live in a new subdivision where everything is flat and treeless. Barren. It's the middle of a field. I hate it. I had some real issues when we moved here about moving into a place so boring. (and about moving in general, but that's a long story.) So, by having a bird build a nest on our house, right outside our front window no less, I think that's God's way of saying "it's ok. I'm here for you."

Isn't that neat? God does work in mysterious ways.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, well, I especially love that are Robin's eggs. Get it? Cuz' my name is Robin & you moved away from me. This way the girls have to say my name everyday. Even if it's the birds they're talking about & not me. See?

God DOES work in mysterious ways! :0)

Wendy Thibault Kane said...

LOL! There are 4 eggs. Maybe that means when you get pregnant you'll have quadruplets! Wouldn't that be a hoot! (oh, wait. that's owls....)

Anonymous said...

If I have 4 babies at once, I'm giving you 2 of them.

Whatcha think about that?

:0)

Wendy Thibault Kane said...

Run away!!!!! (That was from Jim...)