Monday, June 18, 2007

Where, oh where has my little mind gone?

I am losing my mind.

I'm glad we're going on vacation soon because I've been told I need one.

Time: Saturday, day before Father's Day.
Setting: My kitchen
What: Baking a cake

So, I decided I would bake Jim a german chocolate cake for Father's day. German chocolate and pineapple upside down cake are his two favorites. I pull out the cake mixes. Yes, that's right, plural, "mixes". I dump both of them in my bowl. I think to myself, "my, that's a lot more mix than usual". About this time, it hits me.

I am so stupid.

I was going to make a double-layer german chocolate cake. So I freakin' went and used TWO mixes! For those of you who don't bake, that translates to 4 layers! Not 2! Each mix makes a 2-layer cake.

What to do now? One was older than the other, but I had just dumped them both in the bowl and mixed them up. So, I do the only logical thing. I bake. And bake. And bake some more.

We are now proudly wolfing down infinite amounts of chocolate cake. We have a double-layer german chocolate cake with the traditional coconut-pecan frosting. We also have a german chocolate pound cake with a rich chocolate glaze topped with chocolate chips. And the girls have a small cake each that they got to decorate and then declare that they can't eat it because they don't like sprinkles. (They did eventually manage to get a few bites down...)

If any of you lived closer, I'd invite you over for a snack. As it stands now, Jim has taken some to work and the rest just seems to be mysteriously disappearing.

I repeat: I need a vacation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I'd been there, you'd have no problem finding someone to eat the extra cakes. They would have been in my belly!!! :0)

P.S. Happy Father's Day, Jim.

Unknown said...

HAHAHA!!!

Love it. =)

At least you didn't mix chocolate and pineapple!

Wendy Thibault Kane said...

Don't worry about me mixing pineapple and chocolate. Jim's mom makes him his pineapple upside-down cakes so I have never even bothered to try.