Sunday, June 10, 2007

Thank you, Uncle Matt & Aunt Robin!

Well, school ended Friday for Alpha. She has now finished kindergarten and is a BIG FIRST GRADER!

On her birthday, Uncle Matt and Aunt Robin got her a "Big First Grade" workbook.



She LOVES this thing! She has worked on it nearly every day since May 12, her birthday. She was trying to hurry and finish it before school let out because she thought she had to have it done BEFORE she went to first grade! She takes it in the car and to various other places that we'll let her. She cries if she can't take it. I'm surprised she doesn't sleep with it. In short, this is her absolute favorite birthday present!

This afternoon, she has been working on it since about 1:30. It is now 3:50 and she's still at it. She is using her crayons to help her learn addition and subtraction. She had been using her fingers but after she hit some numbers like 11, 12, and 15, she ran into problems. The crayons were her own idea. At school they use BINGO markers. She will painstakingly count out the total number she's supposed to have, then take away however many, then painstakingly count the entire thing again. With her asking me if the results are correct, I have to say she's running about 98% correct on her own the first time.

Here is a picture of her with the crayons.


Jim and I are SO excited that she does this ALL ON HER OWN! If we had had problems with her homework, there's NO WAY she would be doing this. But, she thinks it's great fun and doesn't want to put it down! I can't believe we've got a kid like this, but I'm sure glad we do!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I cannot believe she's in FIRST GRADE now!

Can't she go back to being a little baby for just a day?

Please?

Secondly, Matt says he's very glad he argued with the checkout lady, when she told him the book wasn't on sale. Uh, yes, it was!

And, lastly, what do you mean you can't believe you have a kid like this?

You & Jim were/are very bright students & people. Please.

I knew she was going to be this the day she was born. :0)

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah.

YOU'RE WELCOME!!! :0)

Wendy Thibault Kane said...

Well, I guess I'm not surprised so much as grateful. Plus, as I've discovered, when you have children, they aren't just products of YOUR genes and HIS genes. They are your FAMILY's genes and his FAMILY's genes. That's why Alpha is tall, skinny, and loves gymnastics. Neither me nor Jim is any of those things. Well, Jim is skinny. But he's not into sports at all.

Either way, we're VERY proud of her! I can't wait to see what she produces in the years ahead. (and thanks again for the workbook!)

Anonymous said...

So, for some reason, I'm really missing the girls today.

More than usual.

Can you post some pics of them, please, so I can see them.

What are they doing, now that school's out?

Are they having fun?